I may have finally outdone myself with a seemingly bizarre, yet eclectic collection of sounds in a single playlist. Hip-hop, acoustic blues-folk, electronic rock, and indie pop all came together this month to form a fantastic collection of singles from an indisputably talented group of musicians.
Many of my favorite artists produced new music. Wild Belle, Andrew Bird, Laura Mvula, and Michael Kiwanuka continue to recreate unique expressions of their authentic sound. Ben Harper and his original band, The Innocent Criminals, reunited after a nearly ten year hiatus in which they created a beautiful album marked with overt political statements. DJ Shadow, one of the key figures in the development of early instrumental hip-hop paired up with Run the Jewels to drop a profanity-laced, albeit deeply lyrical single off his upcoming album. Finally, the debut album of Montreal producer, Kaytranada is pure gold in a completely genre-defying collection of tracks. Get listening!
1) DRIVE ME CRAZY – KAYTRANADA, Vic Mensa
2) Green & Gold – Lianne La Havas, Donnie Trumpet, Nate Fox
3) Who Wants It – KCPX
4) Mississippi River – Wild Belle
5) Nobody Speak (feat. Run the Jewels) – DJ Shadow, Run the Jewels
6) Roll Up (feat. Marko Penn) – B.o.B, Marko Penn
7) GOT IT GOOD – KAYTRANADA, Craig David
8) Wristband – Paul Simon
9) One More Night – Michael Kiwanuka
10) Roma Fade- Andrew Bird
11) Phua Kao- Khun Narin
12) Bitten by the Apple – Big Black Delta, Kimbra
13) Waves – Gosh Pith
14) Tilted – Christine and the Queens
15) Call It What It Is- Ben Harper And The Innocent Criminals
16) Overcome – Laura Mvula, Nile Rodgers
Follow me on Spotify!